We are all familiar with those big doe eyes our dogs gives us when we’re tucking into our Friday night take away, or Sunday roast. It is near impossible to turn down their longing gazes, especially when the food smells so good.
However animal experts have found the sneaky bite under the dinner table and plate of left overs could actually be doing harm to your dog’s digestive system.
Canine digestive systems are not equipped to handle the same food as humans – but thousands of people continue to feed their dogs scraps from the table.
Elmo’s kitchen had devised a list of foods harmful to our dogs, they include: chocolate, artificial sweetener, grapes and raisins, caffeine, Macadamia nuts, alcohol, fruit pips and seeds, table scraps, cooked bones and onions. Most fruit and vegetables are good for dogs, but grapes, leeks and onions are to be avoided.
Onion and leeks contain a chemical that can damage dog’s red blood cells and cause anaemia, weakness and breathing difficulties. Grapes and raisins can damage their kidneys, which can be potentially fatal. Dogs are not adapted to metabolise alcohol or caffeine, which can do irreparable damage to their vital organs.
Chocolate is one of the most well-known toxic foods for dogs, as it contains the chemical theobromine, which cannot be broken down by their digestive systems. If the chemical accumulates it can become toxic or even fatal. However other human foods, such as scrambled eggs, carrots and popcorn, are perfectly safe for dogs.
Elmo’s Kitchen has now created an app for dog owners to check which foods are safe for their animals to eat.
We are sure if more people were aware of the damage they were doing to their dog they would pay more attention to the foods they feed them. Having an app is a great start, encouraging people to think before they feed!