Did you know that Cocker Spaniels originated in Spain – just like Gudog did! They’re now one of the UK’s favourite breeds, and we’ve pulled together a bunch of facts which you may not know about these super intelligent dogs.
English Cocker Spaniel:
- The English Cocker Spaniel is the smallest in the “Gundog” group of dogs.
- In adulthood, females can reach 15-16 inches in height, while males tend to reach 15.5-17 inches.
- English Cocker Spaniels have got a long, glossy coat which needs brushing at least three times a week. This will remove dead hair and keep their coat shiny and lying flat.
- The English Cocker Spaniel has plenty of energy so needs to be regularly exercised, though they don’t need tonnes of living space so would do fine in an apartment.
- English Cocker Spaniels are intelligent, obedient, and willing to please. That, combined with their excellent sense of smell meant they were traditionally used in hunting and flushing game.
- English Cocker Spaniels are responsive, affectionate, and gentle.
- They are incredibly happy dogs, who are easily enthused. They’re super sociable and love to stay close to their humans!